+
+
+
+
contact us now. BOOK ONLINE OR CALL 1-800-324-2305

Danger In Your House!

“My house - my castle”- everyone of us want to believe in it. However, none of us understands that the danger can be very close. In this article we’d like to tell you about some unexpected traps, which are hidden in our houses.

The Bathroom

Expectedly, the bathroom is one of the most dangerous places in the home. The combination of water and slick surfaces inevitably results in falls. Bathmats and safety strips (in and out of the shower) are the obvious solution, as well as good, sturdy handrails. Running the ventilation fan while showering also helps reduce the buildup of condensation on tile floors and countertops.

Scalding water is a less obvious danger. The recommended safe temperature for household water is 120 degrees. Meanwhile, many hot water heaters cannot be set accurately. Test bath water for toddlers and the elderly by holding your arm under the water for at least 30 seconds.

A slip down the stairs or a kitchen grease fire can happen in the blink of an eye -- even with careful homeowners, who doesn’t expect a home accident to happen. When it comes to injury and death in home accidents, the leading culprits are falls, toxins and suffocation by ingested object or smoke inhalation.
This probably causes you to glance around your house, wondering just what might kill you or injure you. If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector and you have a leaky hot water heater, the "silent killer" could take you out. A small kink in the carpet on your top stair could do it, too. A slippery bathtub, kitchen grease fire or absentminded reach into the garbage disposal could cause you some major problems. So could that dull kitchen knife, the pot of boiling water on the stovetop and the sharp corner of your living room coffee table. Quite terrifying, don’t you think so?

The laundry room

One of the leading causes of household fires are clothes dryers. Clean your machine’s lint trap before every load. This will improve the performance of your machine, keep it from overheating, and reduce the amount of lint accumulation that could catch fire. In addition, don’t forget to monitor your dryer’s ventilation ductwork. You may have a lint blockage that could cause your machine and ductwork to overheat, if your clothes are taking an unusually long time to dry. Removing and cleaning ductwork is a relatively simple task.

Stairways

The leading cause of injuries in the home is steps and stairs. Wooden interior stairs are particularly dangerous for slipping in socks or on water. Take into account putting down treads or a well-anchored runner. Likewise, make sure sturdy handrails are available at all stairs and get in the habit of using them. Don’t let children play on steps, where they could fall or leave a toy that causes a fall. And insist that children and elderly practice using handrails. Sooner or later everyone misplaces a foot. Having ahold of the handrail can be the saving grace.

The Swimming Pool

It’s not a surprise for everyone that the swimming pools can be dangerous for human’s health and, what’s more important, life. Meanwhile certain precautions can eliminate much of the risk. All pools should be fenced with self-closing and self-latching gates to keep unsupervised children and pets away. Most communities require 4-foot fences around standalone pools. However, pools attached to homes typically are not protected when patio doors are open. Baby gates are an option for pets and toddlers, but should be monitored closely. When not in use, remove all toys and floats from the pool and surrounding deck to reduce the attraction for kids. Small kiddie pools also are a concern. Don’t leave infants alone in even an inch of water and empty kiddie pools for safety after each use.

The Outdoor Grill

Open flame, hot metal and a festive atmosphere can be a bad combination. Do your grilling as far away from the party as possible to reduce the likelihood of accidents. If you’re using a gas grill, be sure to open the top when lighting. If using charcoal, never squirt additional lighter fluid onto burning coals. Also, never dump hot coals in a corner of the yard. Each summer, emergency rooms around the country treat children who come into contact with hot coals that adults believed to be safely out of the way

The Kitchen

The leading cause of fires in the home is cooking. Anyone who took home economics in school knows the rules, but let’s review. Keep kids away from stoves and ovens in use. Keep pan handles turned away from the front of the stove where you might knock into them or children may grab them. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, but never use it on a grease fire. If grease catches fire in a pan, a fire extinguisher or water can cause the flaming grease to leap out of the pan onto surrounding walls and floor. Instead, turn off the burner and use a lid or cookie sheet to smother the flames. Don’t try to lift or carry the flaming pan, as you may spill the fire onto other surfaces.


Keep your home safe with HSE Home Comfort.